Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

CANON EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM


Let me introduce you to the lens that brought to light my understanding of what “L” quality means, “The Canon 200mm F/2.8 Prime”. What a beauty this is. It is fast, accurate, light and sharp as a laser.

I was contracted to shoot a Major League Baseball Game and I needed a lens that would do the job. I had recently been on vacation and was shooting a Minor League Game from the stands for fun about a month before this life changing meeting. Their photographer was there to shoot as well. Well, me not being a stranger to anybody, introduced myself and asked a few questions. The lights here were not great but he gave me some pointers and advised me that to shoot the game at night I would have to have a 2.8 lens and I would probably have to shoot at 800ISO as well. The whole meeting and Q&A session lasted probably no more than 10 minutes tops.

OK, I needed a 2.8 lens on a shoe string budget to get the job done. After looking at them all I settled on the Canon 200mm f/2.8 prime. Mainly it was because of the price. I really had no idea what I was in for. After the first game was shot I was left with my jaw almost dragging the ground. I could not believe I took those images. I kept calling to my wife, “Hey come here and look at this!”

Was it the perfect lens for this type of shooting? Not really. On some shots it was more lens than I needed while on other shots it was more. Bottom line was I got the shots I wanted. Over the next month or so I played with it endlessly.

Although this is a long range at 320mm on the 1.6 crop body you can find quite a lot of surprising shots at this range: Candid’s, head shots, half body and full body from a distance. It is a great secret lens that will let you take pictures of hard to photo subjects from a distance and just let them be themselves.

As far as sharpness goes this is one of the best I’ve seen and on course with the famed 135mm f/2. I knew I was in trouble when I started to analyze each shot and I found I could tell you what time their watch says. Every line wrinkle and detail explodes with this lens.

“Highly Recommended.”

But, beware if this is your first “L” quality lens you will never be happy with less as far as sharpness and detail are concerned.

No comments: