Pages

Monday, June 23, 2008

CANON 28-135mm IS REVIEW



This lens is one of the lenses I both love and hate. Finally the hate grew greater and I sold it.

It is a good lens and can produce some very fine images. It can also be a frustration and capture about as many stinkers. This is my take on the lens and why.

It is f/3.5-5.6 and does have image stabilization. It can be used for a wide range of situations from wide angle landscape to portrait work. It also has USM for supposed faster focusing.

What I have found that it will focus fast but only in heavy sun. When in the shadows it will tend to hunt. In low light it is unbearable. Can you shoot in any situation? Yes. Can you make this lens work for you? Yes. Is it sharp? Sometimes.

Popular Photography has done a review on this lens that can be found here. Unfortunately it was well after I had the lens. The summary chart pretty much tells the story of what I found. It was pretty good up to about an 8x10 print.

I had originally got an DSLR because the point and shoots could not compete with the instant focusing during school plays and performances. But, I also wanted a lens that would have versatile range and cover most situations I would be in. With the increased ISO I should be able to achieve a good image. There was my flaw. I soon realized that I was a pixel peeper. I had moved up to the DSLR because of preformance and quality. Little did I realize at the time the quality was held in the glass more than the camera it was attached to.

If you are looking for a walk around lens and are not a pixel peeper like me, I would suspect most people would be happy with this lens. However if you are considering this lens check out the new lines of Tamron's (3 Lenses) that range from 18-300, one has IS and the specs sheets and test that I have read confirms that they are equal to if not better on the IQ than the 28-135.

No comments: