Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Review

I for one understand that quality means “L” when shooting with a Canon Camera. Usually the image that is acquired by an “L” lens is head and shoulders above the pack in terms of sharpness, speed and build quality. I say usually because there are some standouts in the third party market and today I want to give you my opinion on one of those lenses.


The Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD.






I am an avid sports shooter and require the need for a f/2.8 or faster lens for most of my shooting. I have been happy with my 70-200 f/2.8 as well as my first L lens purchase the 200 f/2.8 prime. Speed, clarity, construction and results spoke for themselves in the images that were taken with them. So, when I needed a short lens for indoor use I turned to the Canon 24-70L. I purchased the lens for a photo shoot at a local gymnastics school. Due to the dimness of the lights and no windows the lens did not hold up to the stop action speed that was needed. I was able to adapt with the 70-200 and got the job done but it left me scratching my head at the $1300 purchase.

Back to the computer I went, searching all other 2.8 glass with the same relative focal length. I ran across the Tamron 28-75mm and it really had mixed reviews. Some loved it and theirs were tack sharp, while others claimed it was useless.

One review stuck out among the hundreds I had poured over, it stated that the owner was really happy with the lens. In fact like a lot of forums and reviews we read he stated that, “I must have got a good copy.” Ok, that’s not the part that stands out. It was the reply to his post which stated very lengthy that it is about 1 in 10 of these lenses that are stand outs and that they are tack sharp. The same person also stated that about 1-3 Canon lenses are “The One”.

Off I went with this new information to get my lens. To test the theory I shopped locally where I could test the lenses there. I drove around Atlanta for two days and was in at least 5 stores many of which had only one copy. I tested each one at 28, 50 and 75mm at 2.8. None of which were any sharper than the 28-135IS that I normally use and most were softer on at least one of those focal lengths.

Yes, I do understand that that you are going to give up some quality with a zoom, and I know that you are not going to have tack sharpness at all lengths most of the time. But, remember I am looking for that “1” lens that will knock my socks off.

I ended up at a store in Atlanta that had several copies of the lens available. After testing the first two I was getting really down. The store had 3 more left and I almost said, “just forget it” when the sales lady talked me into trying the others since I was there already. I place the third copy of the camera; which by the way was number 8 tried so far.

The heavens parted and the sun shown almost right on the counter itself. “A perfect copy.” I ran through the test twice more at different signage around the store. With a smile I bought it. While standing there I noticed the other two on the counter and suddenly remembered the 1 in 10 quote from the forum.

Most all of my studio work is done exclusively with this lens. It is also my walk around vacation lens as well. At $400 for the Tamron, I saved $900 and matched the speed and image quality of the 24-70L.

I’m happy

wcandersons.com

No comments: