Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

HISTORY IN HD

If you like old, antique or nostalgia have I got a site for you. It is called Shorpy, History In HD. It claims to be the site of the 100 year old photographs. In truth most are not quite that old but there is a great sampling of Americas past ranging from about every subject; e.g. Dust Bowl Days, Cars, Tractors, Store Fronts, Gas Stations; just about anything can be found here ranging from the 1860’s thru mainly the 1930’s with older and younger photos thrown in from time to time. I like to view the photos by Lewis Hines who covered the plight of the children workers throughout the country.

It is kind of funny that when my kids start complaining about school, homework and the like, I say, “Your right. Let’s see if I can find you a job.” I hit the Shorpy site and bring up photos of various jobs they may enjoy. I like to watch their face get all screwed up when they tell me that they are too little to work and I find a 5 or 6 year old selling papers for 25 cents a day. “Nope, look here’s a kids’ smaller than you. See!” That usually stops the conversation and they go on about their business of doing what they were supposed to be doing to begin with.

This is truly a fascinating place, but I will warn you. You can get lost in time and spend countless hours there. As of this writing there are 605 pages of photos. All of them can be made supersized by clicking the link under the photo (do it) the detail is unbeliveable. Shorpy has a huge following all ready but if you have never been there it is truly a treat. You can also order any print you see on the site.

No comments: