Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

BUY! BUY! BUY!

In the events over the recent slide and panic over the Wall Street’s slide we can look at it as a failure and pull our money out or we can recognize this as a sale and buy. Is it at the bottom? Who can tell I don’t think so. However if you or your kids have a little money set aside in an account somewhere, now would be a good time to invest in a mutual, index fund or a stock of choice.

Now you noticed I said good time not a great time. The low we hit in the economy was at the lowest since 2005. That’s right 2005, …so. It is a sale but not a bargain. The economy will bounce around for a while but it will recover without question.

Look at it in this since. We are at war, there has been - no rationing, stamps, rubber, metal or tin drives or other life changing factors that has drove the fact into our daily lives. In fact sadly, if it was not in the news every night most Americans would not even know that the war was in existence.

Contrary to popular and media beliefs we have yet to be in a recession look up the definition if you have doubts. While company after company is going under and jobs are being lost make no mistake it is bad, fueled even worse by the panic that is caused by the TV coverage. Jobs are hard to find, money is hard to get and credit is where it should be (given to people that can actually qualify and pay back loans).

That said with a lagging market and a wally-world sale of the countries stocks I found myself looking in all the nooks and crannies to find something to invest. Too bad for me, I didn’t find any. Like most we are strapped too and had nothing to pull from. Then one day over the weekend it struck me.

“How much do the kids have?”

After looking into their savings I found some. Not a lot mind you but some. So, today they are proud owners of a new mutual fund.

They were not excited. They didn’t even know they had money. Frankly, I don’t think they care one way or the other. Isn't that what being a kid is suposed to be.

I can understand that. I grew up in a single parent household until I was 9 or 10. My grandmother took care of us and my mother worked 3 jobs and was still behind most of the time. Did I know? No. I had no idea that we were poor or down on our luck.

To me, my world revolved over a certain set of streets and friends. The days outside playing, getting dirty and bloody was all we cared about. I would think most of the families in the neighborhood were in the same boat, but us kids had not a clue. It all seemed right with the world to us.

Teach them, love them, show them and spend time with them. You can stress the importance of right decisions more with actions followed up with words and explanations. I does not however, work so good the other way around.

No comments: