Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

HOW I GOT THE SHOT



I love the look of a softbox, don't you. Any one can do it and it looks great for males and females alike. This was done with a 2 light system but it can be modified for 1 light and softbox. You will need to replace the white v-cards with a silver bounce panel.

I placed the subject about 6-8 feet infront of the blackout cloth to make sure I do not have any light spills because of the v-card panels. Oh by the way, I am using the term v-card panels for the bounce panels because everyone knows what they are. What I really used was a couple of $1 cardboard presentation boards made by Elmer Glue. They really work pretty good and if you lose one no problems I got a case of them around here somewhere.

Anyway, after placing the subject where I wanted him, I metered the shot that I want. I was shooting ISO 100 and the metere said I should go for 1/250 at f/10. Because of his complection I opened up a little and started at 1/125. I had a medium softbox pointed directly 90 degrees to the side.

For the second light here I put up 2 v-card panels diectly to his other side that could wrap around him from front side to back side. For this one I aimed the small strobe directly at the board instead of him. This would pick up some soft spill wrap around light that would create the mood I was looking for here.

Here is the lighting diagram I used for this one.



Play around with this set up. You will be amazed at the range you can get from it. Turn the small light toward him to create the butterfly lighting effect. Turn off the small light and get that mean, don't mess with me look.

No comments: